The Rhode Island Army National Guard’s Leapfest International Military Parachute Competition is the largest continuously conducted static line parachute competition in the world. This year marks the 22nd anniversary.
The event consists of teams of four jumpers attempting to land as close to a target on the drop zone as possible. Each individual jumper is timed from the moment they land until they reach the target. Each team receives three jumps and awards are given for the first three finishing teams. All participants must be a military qualified parachutist and may be of any rank.
1. As of 17 July 03, 36 teams (50 teams max) are scheduled to participate. All services of US Military will be represented.
* International Teams: Italy, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Ecuador, Poland, El Salvador, Brazil, Austria, South Africa, Greece, and Honduras.
1. Pick-up Zone (PZ Blue)/Opening Ceremonies located on Plains Road, just north of URI’s Ryan Center
Drop Zone (DZ Castle) located at the Peckham Farm, behind West Kingston Elementary school, RT 110
* 13 Aug 03 (0830-1200) – International Team Friendship Jumps/Media Day (DZ Castle)
* 14 Aug 03 (1730-2100) – Commanding General’s Reception (Scituate)
* 16 Aug 03 (0700-1500) – Competition (Opening Ceremonies at 0730 hrs at PZ Blue)
* 17 Aug 03 – Competition Rain make-up date
* 17 Aug 03 (1100-1500) – Awards Ceremony & BBQ (Camp Fogarty)